New Yorkers will chair five important congressional committees during the 116th Congress. This marks the first time in modern history that the representatives from the state have held this many chairmanships at once.
The chairmanships include:
- Small Business Committee – Rep. Nydia Velázquez, D-7;
- Judiciary Committee – Rep. Jerry Nadler, D-10;
- Foreign Affairs Committee – Rep. Eliot Engel, D-16;
- Appropriations Committee – Rep. Nita Lowey, D-17; and
- Joint Economic Committee – Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-12.
Additionally, New York will be well-represented on the committee that most often deals with credit union-related legislation, the House Financial Services Committee. The following House members will serve on the committee:
- Rep. Lee Zeldin, R-1;
- Rep. Pete King, R-2;
- Rep. Gregory Meeks, D-5;
- Maloney; and
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-14.