Lisa Whitaker, president/CEO of CFCU Community Credit Union, has been appointed by Linda Lacewell, superintendent of DFS, to serve a three-year term on the agency’s New York State Charter Advisory Board for a three-year term.
The New York State Charter fosters economic development in New York through prudent regulations and supervision, consumer protection against fraud or unethical conduct and consumer education.
“I’m honored to serve on the advisory board and look forward to assisting with the continued strengthening of our local economy and protection of consumers,” Whitaker said.
Board members consider and make recommendations to the superintendent on the following matters:
- preserving the New York State Charter for depository financial services institutions as a viable and attractive option to current and potential state-chartered financial institutions;
- promoting state charter retention and new charters;
- encouraging the offerings of diverse financial products and services throughout the state;
- new laws, rules, or regulations; and
- amendments or repeals of current laws, rules or regulations.
CFCU Community Credit Union serves residents in Tompkins, Cortland, Seneca, Cayuga and Ontario counties. Whitaker also serves on the Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s Depository Institutions Advisory Committee and was named the Credit Union Association of New York’s 2013 Outstanding Professional for credit unions with more than $250 million in assets. She has an extensive amount of board member and committee experience through her devotion to local community and nonprofit organizations. She served nine years on the United Way of Tompkins County board and is currently serving on the Tompkins Cortland Foundation board, and the Investment Committee at the Sciencenter in Ithaca.